Re: please excuse this: slighlty O/T (RH 7.3)

On Friday 09 May 2003 07:21, Kevin Worthington uttered:
> I'm running 7.3 (Valhalla) as an intranet server (with apache, php, mysql
> etc), and using it to retrieve some mail via squirrelmail. Up until a
> couple of days ago, it was very responsive and there were no problems. Now,
> to process an http request it takes a few minutes. It's very strange.
> Retrieving messages from squirrelmail's web interface is extremely slow.
> The only slower process is when I view a page that fires an email off to me
> on a submit of a web form. This slowness especially has be baffled, since
> my desktop pc and the server are on the same switch. I have so far tried to
> see if there were any strange processes using top, and ps -A | more. I have
> also restarted all of my services, and had actually rebooted, the server,
> something that I haven't done in months. I'm pretty much out of ideas, so
> I'd appreciate any help.

Have you tried running hdparm -t /dev/hda  (or whatever our harddisk is that
the web files sit on)?  You could have a disk that is getting slower and
slower as it's dying.  df -h   is a good thing to look for as well, make sure
your log files aren't filling up.

And lastly, try to copy a file via scp or ftp or nfs, and see if it's the
initial connection, or traffic in general that is slow.  You could have a
failing network card or port on the switch.

HTH!

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net