Re: COBOL for Linux

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 17:35, Mel Seder wrote:

> I'd like to try COBOL out.  I'm an ex COBOL programmer and really like
> the speed of a well written pregram.  I'd don't want to go thru too
> much setting up.
> Who knows  if/where I can find an RPM for Cobol.

	theKompany has a fantastic product called Kobol that is the most
standards compliant COBOL compiler in the entire COBOL market.  It's
very well done and runs on both Linux and WinXX (write once and compile
on both).  It costs about $39 (if I remember right).  They have a
debugger plugin and will have DBSM plugins very soon.  They even have
plans for an X/GUI development interface add-on.

	The only other options are; on the free/open site there's TinyCOBOL and
OpenCOBOL.  Both are very active but not yet up to dealing with ANSI 85
and above yet.  On the commercial site there's a number of them with the
lowest cost option being PerCOBOL at $1500.

--
Paradise; can it be all I heard it was?
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.