Re: Restarting X

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 19:44, n30 wrote:
> Gurus,
>
> I use gnome & RH 9.0. I have graphical login turned on.
>
> The question is how do i restart X?
> Earlier when i had textual login turned on, i did [CTNL - ALT - DEL] and
> then just ran startx.
>
> But how do i kill and restart X in graphical mode?

There are several ways to do this.

* The simplest way is to log out. When you end an X session, with the
default settings still in the /etc/inittab, the init process will
'respawn' X and bring up the display manager authentication mechanism
(the login box).

* Alternatively you can use the key-chord CTRL-ALT-BKSP. As long as this
key-chord combination is enabled in the /etc/X11/XF86Config (the config
file for X), the X server will be killed off and, again, the init
process takes over by respawning the X server and displaying the login
dialog.

* Yet another way is to bring up a terminal emulator under X, su to root
and do init 3; init 5 (maybe a bit extreme depending on what you're
trying to do).

t.

--

The polite thing to do has always been to address people as they wish to
be addressed, to treat them in a way they think dignified. But it is