Re: named (bind) problems

well... there is no too much input...
I'll try the kernel upgrade.
1. zombie
2. I will next time it happens.
3. no, it doesn't works, but appears in the ps list as normal and cannot reach it.
host domain localhost times out.
nothing in logfiles.
yes, named.conf is there and I have some domains set there... masters and slaves.

I'll try the kernel upgrade first....

maybe that resolves the mistery of why the box (2 times so far) is completely freezing with nothing in logs about it or any core dump or something...

Eric Koldeweij wrote:

NEED....MORE....INPUT....

In other words, what happened? Are the processed in Zombie or Deferred state? Can you provide a 'ps' list? Because, if you see the processes in ps list it's not dead! Does named restart report "failed" on starting? Or does it work and you just can't reach it? How did you come to the conclusion that it's dead?
Can you do a netstat -tuan and see if named is listening on port 53? Is there anything in the log files? If so, can we see it? If you do nslookup on the box, set "server 127.0.0.1" and do a lookup, what's the message you get? Can we see your /etc/named.conf?

With this little information no-one can really help you I think....

BTW, bind does run without any problem on my RH9 box.

Eric.