Re: ftp install - can't dd pcmciadd.img

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Gearing up for an ftp install on an older TOSHIBA 4005 with linksys
> Md pn100 NIC ( I think this is pcmcia type nic)
>
> The ftp server is really just another machine on my network.
>
> I'm assuming I need the pcmciadd.img dd'ed onto a floppy to add those
> drivers duing install, so using the standard dd command:
>
>   dd if=pcmciadd.img of=/dev/fd0
> I've been unable to make a working image.  Each time dd errors out
>
> # dd if=new_pcmciadd.img of=/dev/fd0
>
>   dd: writing to `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
>   29+0 records in
>   28+0 records out
>
> I've tried this on 3 fresh (preformated for dos) floppies. When it
> failed I tried `fdformat /dev/fd0' which runs successfully, but when
> trying to dd the image it fails.  OK, I'm thinking its a dud image so
> downloaded a fresh one ...same problem.
>
> I've now tried 2 images from 2 different rh ftp sites.  3 different
> floppies too.  At this point it seems it must be the image file
> itself.  Especially since I can successfully dd the boot.img on the
> same floppy.
>
> Can someone test that image and see if it works?

Can you check the MD5 sums on the images?  All the images on my ISO are
the same size.  The pcmciadd.img file has checksum

	d431e26030840fa0bed51d69e8278c19  pcmciadd.img

> Or have other suggestions.

Just for grins, try "dd if=new_pcmciadd.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k".  It
seemed to work for me.

> Next Question: Do I really need pcmciadd.img for install described
> above?
>
> I don't have the cd. I don't have enough room on the laptop to do a
> hard drive install.  So thought the easiest way would be ftp on my
> network.  Is there a way to do nfs... but it would need the
> pcmciadd.img too right?

If your ethernet card is PCMCIA, then yes.  Not all built-in laptop NICs
are PCMCIA.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences