Re: BitTorrent for shrike?

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 18:06, Satish Balay wrote:
> You can download bittorrent from http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/
>
> The links to shrike are at: http://f.moya.scarywater.net/
>
> The source is all python - and there is no install required. so all
> you need to do is - tar -xzf. But apparently there are some rpms
> availabe
>
> http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html

I downloaded the tarball in the end. The RPM at rpmfind.net is a
Mandrake one and they clearly package python in a way incompatible with
how RH do.

> If you are concerned about security - you can run it from a different
> account which has minimal privilidges on your machine (whatever that
> would be).

Good suggestion. Thanks for that.

> I've used it behind my home NAT box - and it worked fine.. I guess it
> can initiate all connections from the client box (even when it is
> serving data to other hosts)

The trouble is that I'm still not clear how to install BitTorrent. I
downloaded the tarball and untarred it to ~/BitTorrent-3.2.1b/ - I was
hoping that there'd be a make install method of installing, but no. I've
read ~/BitTorrent/INSTALL.unix.txt but it is very thin on details.

For example:
      * there is mention of needing wxPython - I've tried going through
        rpm -qa and I have no idea if I have this or not;
      * I install all non-RPM installs to either ~/bin or /usr/local/bin
        but I have no idea which of the files in the tarball I need to
        copy there - surely not all of them: many of them judging by
        their names are specific to windows or Mac OS X;
      * the installation instructions mention modifying /etc/mailcap -
        will this work with mozilla and galeon?

I'd really appreciate some help on this.

TIA, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com