'Add' removable to device to Nautilus desktop?

I'm trying to get nautilus to notice my USB cardreader when I connect it. I have it connecting & mounting automatically fine.

When I connect my digicam (same hotplug mechanism) and it mounts to /mnt/camera, I get a 'camera' icon on the desktop - when I unplug it, it goes away.

But when I mount my reader to /mnt/cardreader, I get nothing. Worse, when I create a symlink to /mnt/cardreader on the desktop, and unplug the thing, nautilus *does* notice and deletes the symlink!

I tried mounting to /mnt/camera-cardreader in case it was a name-glob type thing, but that didn't help.

Anyone know how Nautilus does/doesn't look for drives? It doesn't show up in the 'Drives' menu off the desktop (possibly as I use updfstab to drive the fstab entries).

--
[neil@xxx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@xxx ~]# ls -l .signature