Re: RedHat 9 on old sparc

At 15:47 5/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:

A client of mine has asked me to put RH9 on an old
Sparcstation2 as a test bed for some development
work. I've looked on ftp.redhat.com and on some of
the mirrors and found nothing.

Is the sun4c architecture no longer supported by RedHat?

If not, any advice as to other Linux distributions?

OpenBSD is looking like a good option.

Red Hat only supported the Sparc architecture up through 6.2, due to lack of popular demand. So you certainly won't find RH9 on a Sparc.

However, try looking at http://www.auroralinux.org for an alternative. Aurora Linux is a group of people who have been rebuilding RH 7.3 packages for sparc and fixing all the concomitant bugs. Aurora has recently released its "1.0" version, and I have just finished downloading the ISO files... will try to install in the next week or so, and I expect it to be fine.

If 7.3 is not recent enough, then you need x86 hardware or another OS.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx