Re: Speaking of Digital Cameras...

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 05:57, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> ...I was stupid enough to spend $30 on a SiPix StyleCam Deluxe a few
> weeks ago. The camera claims to support audio and short segments of
> video as well. It also uses a USB connection. In true form for a cheap
> digital camera, it only has Windows drivers in the box and support for
> only Redmonian operating systems on their website. Apparently, Linux
> doesn't exist to them at all.

Most of the USB digicams can be simply mounted as disks.

1. Make sure USB is correctly configured in /etc/modules.conf. Mine
looks like this:

alias usb-controller usb-ohci

Yours may be slightly different.

2. Turn off the digicam

3. Plug it into your computer

4. Turn on the digicam in "view pictures" mode

5. Create a mount point for it:

mkdir /mnt/camera

6. Try to mount it:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

If you have some SCSI devices in your system, your digicam may get
mapped to sdb, sdc, sdd, ... instead of sda, so in that case you may
need to change the command.

7. Go to /mnt/camera and copy your pictures, rename them, etc. At the
end you can delete them altogether.

8. Get out of /mnt/camera

9. Unmount digicam:

umount /mnt/camera

10. Turn it off

11. Physically disconnect from computer

Large parts of this process can be automated, via fstab, mount applets
in the Gnome panel, etc.

Works For Me (TM) :-) with an Olympus 2040Z

--
Florin Andrei

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy." - Goethe