Re: Postfix features Was: Re: Help - have I been hacked

Res wrote:

On Thu, 1 May 2003, joe wrote:

Postfix can filter mail on any header regexp -
your choice of posix or perl regexps in fact.

No milter needed, postfix does this in a stage
called "header checks"

What are the header checks done?

Well, I may have oversimplified things -

The best bet is to analyze this information:

http://www.postfix.org/big-picture.html

Everything, before the 'data' call or only from and to type headers
etc etc?
At what stage does it check and reject the subject or content type ?

Obviously it's impossible to scan content without
reading content, so there are several stages in
which postfix can reject messages.

Just like sendmail, it can use RBLs & access
lists to terminate sessions based on the data
available during the smtp handshake - then it
can later apply regex patterns to any headers
as well as the body, and send the message
through any of a choice of filters, or no filter at
all, based on the results. It can also hand off
messages to procmail or spamassassin, as
is our custom.

Joe