Re: Manually configuring modem line

Christopher Wong wrote:
original question. Does kudzu actually DO anything other than to recognize
a modem? I don't see a /dev/modem link, for example. I wanted to know the

I don't think so. It also never recognizes my extermnal modem, so it appears to only work for internal modems, probably only PCI at that.

Approved Red Hat Way To Do This, since any custom futzing can get
clobbered by Red Hat utilities.

Probably using /etc/sysconfig/ups. Look over the docs for the Red Hat supplied UPS utils, like nut. /etc/ups/* belongs to nut-client, which is for monitoring UPSes, although it also has the init script.
The stuff in nut (upsd) talks to the ups, while the stuff in nut-client talks to upsd. you can install nut-client on a machine without an UPS and monitor the UPSes on other machines.

-Thomas