Re: Postfix features Was: Re: Help - have I been hacked

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 05:13, Eric Wood wrote:
> Does postfix offer anti-spam support at the connect level?  For example,
> MimeDefang can drop an incomming spam email during the connection thanks to
> sendmail milter support?
>
> Does postfix have a milter equivelant?

Postfix has a large variety of filters (based on regex usually), if
that's what you're looking for (perhaps i didn't get the precise meaning
of your question).
Actually, filtering with Postfix is a _vast_ chapter, perhaps lagging a
bit on the documentation side. I'm still learning. :-)

Generally speaking, Postfix is modular, the various specific tasks are
handled by simple mini-daemons (each one of them having very limited
capabilities) which pass the messages amongst themselves.
There are many hooks provided for the sysadmins to insert their own
stuff in the path of those messages, should the Postfix native
capabilities at the mini-daemon level prove to be not enough.

e.g., for a more specific issue - interfacing with a spam filter such as
SpamAssassin, there's a file in the Postfix tarball called
FILTER_README; i'm using a slightly modified version of the first method
described in it to interface Postfix-1.1.11 and SpamAssassin-2.53 with
excellent results.
Of course, by default SpamAssassin does not drop messages (albeit it
can, if you flip a few switches), it's just tagging them, leaving it to
the MUA to throw them into a virtual garbage can - and that's how i
actually use it (do some dumpster diving every now and then, just in
case there's been a false positive).

FILTER_README is also included in the Postfix package provided by RH
(see /usr/share/doc/postfix*).

Perhaps the best thing is to spend some time with this nice diagram and
try to understand the meaning of the various blocks and pieces:

http://www.postfix.org/big-picture.html

HTH,

--
Florin Andrei

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy." - Goethe