Re: cd mounting and autofs

At 13:16 4/30/2003 -0700, you wrote:
On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 12:47, Jeremy Gregorio wrote:
>     I'm trying to unravel how Redhat 9 goes about automatically mounting
> a cd [...]

Under Gnome, it's controlled by magicdev, KDE uses autorun. Assuming
you're using Gnome, run Preferences->CD Properties to adjust the
settings for magicdev.

And as a followup (related question):

I have a Thinkpad notebook with USB floppy drive. The floppy makes nice noises scanning the diskette when one is inserted, so there is some event recognition there. However, I must manually issue a "mount /mnt/floppy" command to use it.

After I manually mount the floppy, a nice icon appears on the desktop. After I unmount it, the icon disappears. How can I:

A) Have a floppy automounted when inserted, like a CD?

B) Have the icon stay permanently, and automount the diskette when clicked?

C) Have the floppy automounted when someone does (for example) "ls -l /mnt/floppy"?

Any of the above would work really. All I want to do is make things easier for my ex-Windows users, who frankly find the need for "mount /mnt/floppy" baffling and onerous. I've also created a symbolic link /floppy pointing to /mnt/floppy so they can find it more easily.

Thanks for any help!

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx