cd mounting and autofs

I'm trying to unravel how Redhat 9 goes about automatically mounting a cd and displaying a file manager window. I found autofs/automount, and figured it must be using that, but I can't figure out how. The two config files in /etc (auto.master & auto.misc) don't seem to do anything (I commented all the entries out and restarted the service to no avail). I'd like to have it set up so that it automounts the cd, but doesn't open a file manager window. Can somebody point me in the right direction (i.e. what's Redhat using for config files)? Thanks again.

Jeremy Gregorio