Re: apache authentication

On 5/1/2003 at 2:35 AM Randy Perkins wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 15:45, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> Two out of three are stupid built-in limitations that should be
>> eliminated, AFAIK.  That may not be why Red Hat doesn't include it, but
>> that's why it's currently so hard to use.
>>

>i thought i wanted to authenticate my .htaccess with valid users
>at one time.  this changed my mind
>
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#passwdauth
>
>now i just use htpasswd
>
>hth
>randy
>

>--
I would agree with this in most situations. However, the machine I want to do
this on is on the company intranet, so it is not visible to the outside world,
and any attacks are extremely unlikely. Also, the most of the users are barely
computer literate at all, and the less required of them, the better. In
addition, the number of users is not huge, but there are enough of them (around
100) that I have no desire to maintain the htpassword file entries for each of
them, and they need to be able to change their passwords every so often.

If anyone knows of a way to allow users to change their passwords on the
htpassword file, I'd be interested in hearing it.

regards,

shane.