Re: hard drive access every few seconds...

nautilus used to do open()'s each time you made an action - which
changed the atime.  Nautilus already uses fam in the file navigation -
just create a file from the command line and watch the icon appear
instant in the window.  However, they're still continuously stat'ing
mtab.  So they're using fam in some place and not in others.

How can you stat /proc/mount and test for a change since the times
aren't maintained on a /proc fs?

However you can test for a filesize change if they preserved the last
file size - which they do the last mtime. So if that don't want to use
fam, they could poll /proc/mount with stat and test for a size change.

Makes you wonder why /etc/mtab even exists nowadays.
-eric wood