Gnome CDPlayer/Audio CDs

Hello:

I recently installed RH9 and the up2date upgrades on a P3-1 GHz machine
with 1 Gig of RAM.  The kernel is
2.4.20-18.9.  I am using the Gnome Desktop.

My sound card (Creative Sound Blaster 5.1) is apparently recognized and
configured properly because pressing the test button in the config tool
produces sound from both speakers.

After opening the Volume Control and adjusting the sliders to what
should be a moderate level, I launched the Gnome CD Player.  I inserted
an audio CD which is known to play on the same machine/soundcard/speaker
system under "that other operating system", and the CD drive auto-plays
the CD and correctly identifies it.  However, no amount of manipulation
of the sliders on Volume Control or CD Player produces any **sound**.

I have checked the Gnome Desktop documentation for Volume Control and CD
Player, and cannot identify any configuration errors.  I have tried
launching and configuring as both root and mere mortal.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Glenn
n0hn@xxxxxxxxxx