Re: Printer compatibility list for RH9 and RH7.3

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:25:01PM +0200, Jean Francois Ortolo wrote:
> >   I'm about to buy a new printer for my actual RedHat 7.3, which could
> > furthermore comply with RedHat 9, once I've installed it.
> >
> >   By so far, I need to get some links to web sites, which could give me
> >  a complete printer compatibility list, for RedHat 7.3
> >  as well as RedHat 9.
>
> Check out http://www.linuxprinting.org.  Once you've identified the
> printer you like and the driver that supports it, you can download the
> rpm for the printing subsystem of choice (foomatic, cups, whatever) and
> see if the current version compatible with 7.3 supports that printer.

Thank you very much, Sir
  I looked at the linuxprinting site, which is very instructive.

  Finally, I intend to buy an HP DeskJet, in accordance with the fact
there mostly are native drivers for Cups, which are very well integrated
with the Cups package in RH 7.3, and don't involve Ghostscript, as I could
understand.

  By doing so, I expect to have printages which shouldn't take too long,
for the ghostscript ( postscript, indeed ) level, involves some big times for
the printing process.

  And... I forgot that I could simply take a look at the Cups supported
printer list inside RedHat 7.3, which is installed in my computer, in
order to get a list of the available HP DeskJet printer.

  Thank you very much for your help.

  Regards.

  Jean Francois Ortolo