RE: php --with-mysql

Title: RE: php --with-mysql

Not directly relevant,but... Having phpinfo() available via the browser is almost a necessity if somebody else is hosting your site and you are trying to keep up with technical innovations.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hardy Merrill [mailto:hmerrill@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 3:21 PM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: php --with-mysql

John Haxby [jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Well, yes, of course, it's a lot nicer than my
>
>    echo '<? phpinfo() ?>' | php | grep -i mysql
>
> but you have to
>
>    * Make sure your web server is running
>    * Find an editor to edit a file
>    * Do it again, this time as root
>    * Find the browser, point it at the right place in the web server
>    * Move the file to where it is supposed to be
>    * Fix the permissions

True, I did make a lot of assumptions - maybe I misunderstood
the original post, but IMHO the original post "gave the
impression" that the webserver was already working and
that PHP *was* built in :-) and he just wanted to know
whether or not MySQL support was built in.

> Even if you cut out the mistakes it's still takes 10 times as long to
> get a "YES" out of it.  For what it's worth, even though I thought I
> knew the answer, I actually did
>
>    echo '<? phpinfo(); ?>' | php | less -i
>
> and searched for mysql.

Just a difference of opinion - knowing that my webserver *is*
working and does have PHP built in, it took me probably
5(all right, maybe 10) seconds to type in that one line
script and put it in my webserver doc root, browse to it,
and get the page displayed - then another 2 seconds to bring
up browser search and search for 'mysql' and get my answer.

So maybe you're right - your way is faster.  But it's a good
test vehicle to go through the exercise of putting a phpinfo
script in your webserver doc root - it tells you if your
webserver is working properly (assuming PHP is built in), and
it gives nicely formatted output about your webserver.

--
Hardy Merrill
Red Hat, Inc.