Re: Configuring 2 Machines to Connect to Internet

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 11:17, Rohit Khanna wrote:
> Hello Folks:
> I have the following problem. I will be grateful to this list if
> they throw some light.
>
> I have two machines, both running LINUX one running MANDRAKE 9.1
> and one running RED HAT 9.0. The one running MANDRAKE is connected
> to the internet via DSL Modem. (I have a dynamic IP when I connect
> to Internet).
> I have a hub with which I have connected the Red Hat 9 machine.
> I want to run internet on this Red Hat 9 Machine also. I have a
> zero knowledge about how to do that.
> I gave some wild tries like this:
>
> On the Mandrake Machine I assigned an
> IP 192.168.0.1,
> Gateway also 192.168.0.1
>
> Red hat machine 192.168.0.2 (via the option statically assign
> IP)
> and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
> gateway I put IP of Mandrake Machine a 192.168.0.1
>
> I was able to ping 0.1 with 0.2 but was not able to Internet on
> 0.2
>
> I may be wrong and I am ignorant. If someone can tell me how to
> configure what all to write, I will be really thankful.
>
> PS: If you can refer me some pointers, that will also be
> appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Rohit

The best thing you can do is purchase a router.  I like Netgear personally;
easy to configure and come out of the box in a very secure state.

This gives you time to search for and read relevant documentation.

Another suggestion:  since your mandrake computer is on the net and is
currently in a position to be your gateway, try a mandrake mailing list.

Joebewan