Re: OT - Updates system clock

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 10:59, dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

When I went to the updates.redhat.com site to download the latest errata
updates this morning, I found that the timestamp for the ypserv-2.8-0.9E
files were at least three hours into the future. At about 08:30 CDT, the
timestamps on those files were showing June 25 11:17 with both gftp and an
ftp client in Xterm. (Time and zone settings at this end are correct.)

I would guess that updates.redhat.com would be set to the GMT time
zone. I don't know whether FTP is smart enough to determine that and
convert to local time zone or not. Hmm.

Nearly right. The times reported by FTP often don't have timezones attached to them so if you're picking up a file from the US East Coast and you're further west then it may well appear to be in the future. Indeed, my copy of the ypserv RPM is dated "Jun 20 19:09" and the one on as it the one on the UK mirror, ftp.mirror.ac.uk, and the one on Red Hat's FTP server in North Carolina. However, the UK servers are +0100 and Red Hat's is +0600, but because there's no mention of timezone, you can get confused. But not much :-)

jch