Re: how to uninstall JAVA open Source

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 10:40, rebel student wrote:
> > Hi Ed,
> > Thanks for your help.
> > I saw which java and it told me /usr/bin
> > I changed the path as u mentioned.
> > I do it by following /etc/profile.d/java.sh
> >
> > JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3.1_08
> > PATH=$JAVA_HOME:$PATH/bin
> > export JAVA_HOME
> >
> You still have two mistakes here.
> It should be:
>
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3.1_08
> PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
> export JAVA_HOME PATH
>
> Note that the directory for the Java binaries is $JAVA_HOME/bin.  You
> forgot to move the "/bin" part along with the $JAVA_HOME.  Also, you
> should export both the JAVA_HOME and PATH variables.
>
> I think the reason it worked once you disabled the gcj Java is that you
> had previously set the path somewhere else in /etc/profile.d/java.sh,
> with the wrong order (which you tried to fix after Ed's first response).
>
> Also, if you don't need this to affect all users you should change it on
> ~/.bashrc instead of the system-wide java.sh file.  I'm not sure if this
> will cause problems with OpenOffice.org and other programs that use GCJ
> stuff.

Finally, I don't think the culprit is gcj.  The command for gcj is
/usr/bin/gcj.  I have the gcj and libgcj* packages and there is no java
comand included.

Try rpm -qf /usr/bin/java and see what's returned.  That's the pacakge
that needs to be removed.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences