Re: Boot Log Messages

Greetings!

Near the end of the boot process, one of the boot scripts, rc.sysinit,
runs the command "rc.sysinit:dmesg -s 131072 > /var/log/dmesg".  So, the
file in /var/log is just that, a file.

This is because of what the dmesg command does.  It dumps the kernel
ring buffer message fifo.  Note that it is a fifo.  As the kernel runs,
this fifo will eventually get overwritten and the boot stuff will be
lost.  So running the dmesg command will give you the current contents
of the fifo.  looking at /var/log/dmesg will give you the contents of
the fifo as it looked near the end of the boot process.

Clear as mud?

-Michael

On 25 Jun 2003, Mike Chambers wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 06:41, edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Where can I find the boot screen messages? I've looked
> > in all my logs, but can't find any reference to an
> > error I'm getting. Modprobe: can't locate module
> > bsd.comp
>
> Type "dmesg" or look at /var/log/messages.

perhaps someone can clarify this for me, but there are two
sources of "dmesg" output lines: the "dmesg" command itself,
and /var/log/dmesg.

based on what i've read, since the kernel ring buffer
has a finite size, unless you run "dmesg" soon after booting,
the earliest kernel-generated boot messages may be dropped
from the ring buffer.

is this the case with /var/log/dmesg?  anyone want to take
a crack at explaining this carefully?

rday