Re: Boot Log Messages

On 25 Jun 2003, Mike Chambers wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 06:41, edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Where can I find the boot screen messages? I've looked
> > in all my logs, but can't find any reference to an
> > error I'm getting. Modprobe: can't locate module
> > bsd.comp
>
> Type "dmesg" or look at /var/log/messages.

perhaps someone can clarify this for me, but there are two
sources of "dmesg" output lines: the "dmesg" command itself,
and /var/log/dmesg.

based on what i've read, since the kernel ring buffer
has a finite size, unless you run "dmesg" soon after booting,
the earliest kernel-generated boot messages may be dropped
from the ring buffer.

is this the case with /var/log/dmesg?  anyone want to take
a crack at explaining this carefully?

rday