Re: Freeze of RH9 on Dual Athlon in SMP mode

Wolfgang Gill wrote:

Personally, I would get rid of that board and get yourself a Tyan
Tiger MPX (2466N-4M) Board.

We have it's predecessor mobo (Tyan Tiger MP S2460), equipped with two AMD Athlon MP 1900+ and 1 GB Samsung RAM, tried with different PSU by Enermax and TSP with 520/550W, and it turned out to be the worst mainboard we've ever even remotely seen; very similar problems like Bjorn described, lots freezes, sick boot problems, probleems accessing the BIOS or updating the Hardware Monitor in BIOS, thermal problems, SCSI problems (Zip drives, Microtech card readers, cannot boot from scsi cd-rom or dvd-rom drives), lockups and so on. Even by using ext3 with journaling on RHL8 and above, there were so many freezes and lockups that the operating system was destroyed two times (irrepairable damage to the fs).

To get 2 (two) working boards, we had to do 6 (six) RMAs, where one board is still on the way on the other one is currently not being used since nobody here trusts this boards anymore. We had terrible experiences with the Tyan support (it's a long story), which blamed anyone else, including Adaptec, 3Com, Samsung, Enermax, etc. for building incompatible products, and have still found no way to use this board with DMI software due to lack of an MIF file, or to monitor the board by using lm_sensors since there's a "DMI problem" according to the Tyan support which causes to recognize our boards as Tyan Thunder, not Tyan Tiger and gets thus wrong measurings.

However, the Tiger MXP might be better, but for us, as it seems, we'll never buy Tyan products again. If you go for Tyan, make sure you buy from a good dealer which will take the board back if it turns out to be useless as ours and definitely avoid boards based on the AMD 760MP chipset, it's broken in several aspects; however, the AMD 760 MPX might be better.

Greetings, -asb