RE: Freeze of RH9 on Dual Athlon in SMP mode

Personally, I would get rid of that board and get yourself a Tyan Tiger MPX
(2466N-4M) Board. The specs are the same if not better (More PCI slots and
other stuff). The reason I say that is that I have two of the same boards,
I've tried all the same stuff as you have mentioned to no avail. I even had
one of the boards send back to MSI, and they said it was fine. (Of course
they would have only tested it with M$. And I already knew that it worked ok
with that crap). So I decided to get the Tyan Tiger MPX (I have (3) now all
running RH9 without a problem). And seeing that the board specs were pretty
much the same as the MSI one, it was also cheaper. So I suggest you do
yourself a favour and either return it (If you are still able to) and get
yourself on of the Tyan boards. As it will save you a lot of headaches, in
trying to sort out what is causing the system hangs. From what I have gone
though with the MSI board, I seem pretty sure that there must be some type
of design fault with it somewhere. As the board is VERY unstable.

Oh, and I would also like to mention that I have tried RH7.3, 8.0 and 9 on
that MSI board, and the same problems persist with all the mentioned RH
releases. I just think this board has problems with Linux in general. The
BIOS updates didn't help at all. (Although they now have a new Version,
which too late, now that I'm running the Tyan boards now.) The Tyan board
has been running great now for over a year. Nice going Tyan!!

Wolf