Re: sendmail redirecting mail to aol.com/rr.com/isps blocking dynamicip's

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Joe wrote:

> Satish Balay wrote:
>
> >How would you do this for an authenticated SMTP server (aka SSL)?  I'm
> >also interested in this info - as I use postfix locally for my
> >outgoing mail.
> >
> hmm I've never experimented with this - all the
> mail servers I've worked with are open for public
> connections....

SSL and authenticated SMTP are mutually exclusive.  SSL can be used for
connections between client and server, or between servers.  Currently,
authenticated SMTP is limited to connections between client and server.

I am using both, currently.  In my /etc/postfix/main.cf, for TLS (SSL)
connections, I have the following:

# TLS
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/burgers.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/privkey.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_use_tls = yes
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtpd_tls_cipherlist = DEFAULT
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtp_starttls_timeout = 300s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
tls_random_exchange_name = /etc/postfix/prng_exch

Note that "burgers.pem" and "privkey.pem" are the SSL key and certificate
files.  In my case, they're self-signed, but if you really want to be able
to make full use of TLS/SSL, you'll probably want to buy an actual secure
certificate from an actual secure cert authority...or, if you already have
the same files for use with your web server, those same key and cert files
should work just fine.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe