Re: sendmail redirecting mail to aol.com/rr.com/isps blocking dynamicip's

On 06/23/03 23:38 +0100, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:
> I've done quite a bit of searching and reading but haven't found an
> answer yet.
>
> AOL.com and RoadRunner block incoming mail from IP's that belong to
> residential customers- my ISP's server is a bit flaky at times.
>
> I want to instruct sendmail (can be convinced to use postfix easily), to
> forward mail for specific domains to the ISP's SMTP server, and all
> other mail through my own sendmail.
>
> I've only found smarthost and mailhub options so far which aren't quite
> what I want (don't want all external mail to go via the ISP).
>
> My only solution in mind is to play about with BIND so that MX queries
> for AOL.com are answered with my ISP's MX - and see if that solves the
> problem. That's probably not the *right* solution though
Have a look in the archives for the Red Hat list.  There's a huge thread
from last week (100+ postings on this topic) in response to my query
very much like yours.

My solution was to use Smart Host.  I discovered that I was sending
direclty from my machine, i.e. was running a mail server, and that is
why AOL was bouncing my mail.  My solution and other ideas are in the
thread.

John