RE: Unable to Connect to Internet

On 6/23/2003 at 9:56 AM rebel indian wrote:

>hi there,
>its there, I have checked.
>How come my DNS service is not working....................
>Someone Please helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
>Thx
>
>PS: If i don find a solution, I am thinking to install red hat 8 now on
>this 9. Will i loose all my previous data?
>when I upgraded 7.3 to 9 I did nt loose anything but will I now loose?
>

>Rebel a Student :)

snip

as previously suggested, it might be that your eth is getting the information
pushed to it by the DHCP server, which is a common practice. if you can use one
of your other machines to determine your DNS server address, then there must be
a setting somewhere that will allow you to specify your DNS server manually. i
can do this here, but i'm in a lab work, so i have access to the DNS servers'
addresses.

also, it might be worth mentioning, that if you make manual edits to these conf
files, then later use the corresponding redhat-config-xyz tool to make
addtional changes, your files will overwritten, and the manual changes you did
will be wiped out. i had to uninstall these tools from my server so i could
have full control over my httpd.conf and dhcpd.conf files, among others.

regards,

shane