From: Nicholas Parsons [mailto:napt@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 12:28 AM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RedHat Linux 9.0

Hi Ed,

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 04:50:15PM -0400, Nicholas Parsons wrote:
> > Hey William,
> >
> > The correct term for linux is "GNU Linux"....haha, none of that
> > hurd stuff.
>
> No it's not.  Linus owns the name "Linux" and he does not refer to it as
> GNU Linux.
>
> The kernel is Linux.  Period.  What Red Hat distributes is Red Hat Linux
> 9.  There is no GNU in the name.  No matter how many people want GNU
> added to the name, it's Red Hat's decision on how to name their product,
> and GNU is not there.  GNU isn't even mentioned on my 8.0 Professional
> box unless it's in the white on grey text on the bottom that I can not
> read.
>
> IMHO, GNU doesn't belong there.  Sure, there are a lot of GNU components
> there, and that work is definitely appreciated.  However, there are a
> lot of other very significant components there too, and we don't call it
> Red Hat GNU XFree86 KDE Gnome OpenOffice Linux.

I refer to the operating system proper as GNU/Linux due to the fact that
a Operating System not only has a kernel but also has certain system
software built to support it.  Most of the system software is GNU based
such as the popular gcc compiler.

Personally it doesn't really matter to me if someone calls it Linux or
GNU/Linux, I like it just the same :-)

~~Nick