Re: Applications Hang

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:00:21 -0700
From: Joe <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Applications Hang

edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I used top and dmesg before everthing slows, but
>nothing out of the ordinary shows. CPU idle is around
>95%-98%. Most messages in dmesg is from packets being
>dropped by my firewall.
>
>The hardware I'm running is a AMI MB with a 800Mhz
>Intel PIII, 1GB ram, floppy, CD, hard drive,
>SoundBlaster card, two NIC's, both are Netgear
>FA311--that's it.

hmm nothing out of the ordinary - I had one
set of rh 9 boxes that would segfault and not
run some common commands, and one set
that had no problems. Just doing a rough diff
between the sets showed that the working set
had packages from freshrpms, while the bad
et had packages from... er - a different place.

Just out of curiosity, are you running a stock
rh 9 kernel, or self-compiled? Is your system
up to date?

BTW which version of java are you running?

Also, you mentioned mozilla 1.3 - does the box
have problems with mozilla 1.2 from redhat, or
with the 1.4 from rawhide?  (does the problem
happen always when using mplayer, or when
using mozilla, or a combination, or at random?

Joe

I am running a stock kernel and it is up to date.

I did find the following error file called
hs_err_pid9109.log.

An unexpected exception has been detected in native
code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x42073770
during VM shutdown
Function=__libc_free+0x70
Library=/lib/tls/libc.so.6
#The exception above was detected in native code
outside the VM
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
(Blackdown-1.4.1-01 mixed mode)

I'm only using mozilla 1.3. The problem is random.
Where do I start to look for the problem?