Re: backup copy /home/user

Your theory is entirely correct. Well, pretty well nearly entirely. Close enough.

You've got a few options. The simplest is to create a tar archive and put that on a cd:

cd /home
mkdir /tmp/foo
tar zcf /tmp/foo/user.tar.gz user
mkisofs /tmp/foo ...

Alternatively, there are options to mkisofs that will preserve permissions and ownership. I've not used these, but they're there. What I've done is create an ext2 file system in a file and put that on the CD. Make sure the image is a multiple of 2kbytes long.

jch

Christopher Russell wrote:

I am trying to copy /home/user from one RH9 machine to another RH9
machine, using a CDR; but the files and directories lose their
permissions. How should this be done properly, please?

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
Made a user account on machine#2 in the same name as machine#1.

Using a CDR, and syntax from RH8 Bible by Negus, p471.

mkisofs -o /var/tmp/user.cd /home/user
cdrecord -v speed=10 dev=0,0,0 -data /var/tmp/user.cd

WHAT HAPPENS:
On copying the files and directories into the new /home/user directory,
icons are labeled as user not having necessary permissions. e.g.,
/evolution has changed from 700 to 555, /stuff has changed from 755 to
555, and a .html file has changed from 664 to 555.

WHAT I THINK THE PROBLEM IS:
A CD is an archive media, and so it's something in the way I made the
CD

- but what should have been the way to do this, please?

Thanks in advance,
Chris