Re: kernel from up2date

On Saturday 21 June 2003 19:09, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> There are reasons why a user wouldn't want up2date to perform an
> automatic kernel upgrade. The kernel is the most important core
> component. Kernel installation makes the new kernel the default in
> the bootloader menu. An automatic upgrade followed by a power
> failure and reboot would boot the latest kernel. If it fails and the
> machine doesn't boot, that's bad with remote administered machines,
> for instance. Some users need to compile additional drivers for
> their kernel manually. It's better they must tell up2date explicitly
> when to upgrade the kernel.

Seems I recollect I had the option when I configured Up2Date on this machine
to include kernels, but the default and recommended setting was to leave them
out.

The reasons for this make perfect sense.  I don't have any custom stuff on my
machine so I always install the kernel updates, and I've had no problems so
far.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Joebewan