Re: Stopping Up2Date

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:

> Is there any way to completely and totally prevent the rhnd from
> working? Even though I've stopped and unchecked it in the services conf
> screen, I still get crond messages letting me know of up2date's results!
> --

The rhnsd daemon is started from a start up script (check chkconfig --list
rhnsd to see whether it is started at boot) and checks for updates every
couple of hours (use chkconfig rhnsd off to stop the startup and services
rhnsd stop to stop it if it is live). Otherwise, you could be signed up to
the redhat-watch-list which tells you of security patches etc. when they
are released, or you may have configured something on the web site
http://rhn.redhat.com/ to notify you of changes.
Also there is the rhn-applet, which is the blue tick/red exclamation mark
at the bottom right hand corner of the default desktop, which can be
removed as any other applet, though I don't remember whether it stays gone
when gnome is restarted.

	Michael Young