Re: mbox files

Joe wrote:

> Rigoberto de la Cruz wrote:
>
> >I have 2 mbox files that would like to join. What is the best way
> >to do so? I was thinking on something like this:
> >
> >$ cat mbox1 >> mbox2
> >
> >It might look like a dumb question, but I'm concerned that the
> >attachments wont be copied or any other problem can occur.
> >

> You can do this without touching the
> original mbox files -
>
> cat mbox1 mbox2 > newmbox

This will work nicely. mbox files can be joined without any problem,
because attachments are stored together with the mail they belong to.
The format of mbox files is extremely simple: Each mail starts with a
line beginning with "From " (From with a trailing space, after this
anything may be in the line, most often the receive timestamp). After
this comes just the original mail stream as sent through the SMTP
protocol. The mail ends either at end of file or at the next line
starting with "From ". BTW this is the reason many mail programs add a
"> " at the beginning of lines whi start with "From " or "from ",
because these would break the mbox format.
Do a
less mbox1
and see for yourself.

Best regards,