Re: printer problem

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 19:20, anthony baldwin wrote:

> Yes, they were rpm's, but if I remove them, can I not break parts of the
> system that rely upon those packages?

Help me out here guys.  If he removes an update, does Linux fall back to using
the prior version or has the particular package disappeared altogether ??

> Also, How do I know where I downloaded them TO?

I don't apt-get, so I don't know where it stashes stuff.  Again, input from
the crowd ???

> Also, a fellow on the K12ltsp list said he was having a similar problem and
> fixed it by replacing his recently updated openmotif with an older version.
>
> I have donwloaded the rpm with which he replaced his,
> (openmotif21-2.1.30-6.i386.rpm) and have attempted to install it
> (rpm -ivh --replacefiles --replacepkgs, b/c if
> (openmotif-2.2.2-14), so I don't know if I really changed anything...and,

I'm not sure about the switches, but they look OK.

> I suppose that trying to work with me here is becoming exasperating, since
> I am so clueless. Trust me, I am getting exasperated, too.  I've only been
> using Linux for about a year, now, and it seems that every few months I
> update something and something else goes screwy and I spend weeks trying to
> fix it...It is frustrating.

I've been using Red Hat for about two years or more and I keep running into
issues as well.  I've RTFM plus a whole lot of other books, but can't seem to
find all the answers.  (can't seem to remember the ones I do find either)

> I've tried printing with LPD, LPR and Cups, now.  After changing the
> openmotif, with Cups, the printer responds, but spits out a blank page.
> Still no response at all with LPD or LPR.

Reference some previous posts.  Make sure only one type of printing is
running.  If you're running CUPS, then make sure lpr is not.

Joebewan