Re: managing desktop content for user.

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 01:46, Eric Doutreleau wrote:

> I have installed shrike in a lab for student ( hundred workstation and
> 2000 students ).
>
> I would like now to customize the desktop for every user.
> I would loike to add some icon on the desktop , some launcher in the
> panel , and some applet for every people who connect on that machine.
>
> More over when there s someone who have mess up its configuration i
> would like to provide them an esy way to came back to the initial
> situation.

	Here's one suggestion:  G4U.

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

	Briefly:  this will allow you to set up one "perfect" workstation, with
all your Gnome icons and launchers that you want, then clone lots of
other desktops from that.  It works with more OS's than just Linux,
which can be a huge help in an OS-agnostic academic environment.

	Some people at our institution have tried Norton Ghost, which wasn't
workable with Linux.  G4U apparently (I haven't used it personally)
works fine.

	Good luck!
	-Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers