managing desktop content for user.

Hi

I have installed shrike in a lab for student ( hundred workstation and
2000 students ).

I would like now to customize the desktop for every user.
I would loike to add some icon on the desktop , some launcher in the
panel , and some applet for every people who connect on that machine.

More over when there s someone who have mess up its configuration i
would like to provide them an esy way to came back to the initial
situation.

All that should work on gnome environnement.

Has anybody already done that kind of thing?
--
Eric Doutreleau <Eric.Doutreleau@xxxxxxxxxxx>