Re: ssh V1 / RootLogin disable [was: Building OpenSSH]

Once upon a time, Andrew Smith <rhml2@xxxxxxxx> said:
> Totally agree ... but more to the point ... why disable it?
>
> The reason to disable root login in telnet is obvious.
>
> If you don't trust ssh then don't install it :-)

I trust ssh.  However, if I allow direct root logins, I lose my audit
trail.  Yes, someone who is root can go edit things, but it really is a
pain in the rear to track down everything.

Basically, by only allowing access to root via the console (which is
monitored) and after authenticated login (which is logged by username),
it is much easier to track down who did what.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>