printing problem

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I submitted this issue yesterday and have recieved no response, so I thought I would try again.  I am trying to be as specific as possible, but I am, admittedly, a bit of a newbie.
In any case...I have a Lexmark z33 and I have been printing with it for a little less than a year.  It has worked in every RH release since 7.2, using the binary driver provided by Lexmark on their site, but something went wrong yesterday.
Now, I can print from neither Abiword or OOo, but can from KWord..  I'm finding this odd...in fact, I am totally stumped.  The only changes I have made since it was working, only a few days ago, is that I have run apt-get update & upgrade.
I can't imagine that it is an app specific problem, indeed, I have removed and reinstalled OOo, repaired it and checked the printer settings, which don't appear to have changed.  I have redownloaded, removed and reinstalled the printer driver, too.
I also can't imagine it is an LPR problem, since KWord is printing, and I can get a test page from the printer driver software.
I'm running Shrike, of course, updated from Freshprpms with apt-get just this weekend.  The driver is from Lexmark and was working just Friday before running apt-get update, upgrade.  My OOo is the latest, 1.0.3.1, Abi came with this distro, but was, I believe, recently updated with apt-get, likewise KWord (not sure where to check this, if it is significant).
Printing is pretty important, since I am a teacher and use OOo, especially, to create curricula for my students.
I have noticed the OOo on the windope trash on my desk at school sometimes dumps it's printer settings and has to be reminded where to send print jobs, but this would not explain why Abi, too, now won't print.  I'm not seeing any printer error messages, either.  For all practical purposes, it appears as though both OOo and Abi believe they have sent the print jobs, but the printer does not respond, although it responds perfectly well to jobs from KWord.
I have not tried to print from a web browser, the gimp, or any other application.
So, I don't even know where to begin to look for the problem, at this point, and would appreciate and direction or assistance at all, please.
Steps I have taken so far include, as mentioned, removing and reinstalling both the lexmark driver and OOo.
The driver, Lexmark indicates, is a LPD driver, so I suppose it will not work with CUPS, and it is in binary only, not an rpm.
If more info is needed about my hardware or software configurations, I would be glad to supply it upon direction.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Freedom to Learn!