activating HD DMA using 2.5.70 kernel

  i'd like to clarify when i should expect to have DMA enabled on
my system (dell laptop).

  starting from the beginning, i know that you can configure DMA
in general in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks, which will apply to *all*
hard drives, or individually in /etc/sysconfig/harddiskhd[abcd...].

  based on what is pretty much a stock shrike install (with the
exception of the 2.5.70 kernel), "hdparm" tells me that my
/dev/hda drive currently has DMA turned on.

  yet, i never turned it on, i've got only the file
/etc/sysconfig/harddisks, and that has the line

# USE_DMA=1

so it's commented out.

  i'm working my way through the hdparm section in /etc/rc.sysinit
to see why DMA is currently active, since i would have expected to
have to set it *somewhere* to get it.

  any thoughts?  is there an overview of DMA somewhere that goes
over this?  thanks.

rday

--

Robert P. J. Day