Re: X config for a laptop

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Justin Zygmont wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Mike Burger wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to get X configured for a laptop without any luck.
> > > redhat-config-xfree86 fails with the following output:
> > >
> > > * ddcprobe returned bogus values:
> > > ID:	None
> > > Name:	None
> > > HorizSync: None
> > > VertSync:  None
> > >
> > > xconf.py: Fatal IO error 2 (Connection reset by peer) on X server :17.0.
> > >

> > > in my /var/log/XFree86.setup.log, the error says:
> > >
> > > (EE) No devices detected.
> > >
> > > Fatal server error:
> > > no screens found
> > >

> > > I tried with --noui but it was always the same result.  I'm pretty sure
> > > the video chipset is: Chips & Tech Accelerator 65545 with 1MB ram.  If
> > > anyone has any idea why it won't work or what can be done, i'd appreciate
> > > any help.
> >
> > Those settings that you quoted are for the monitor, not for the video
> > card.  When you go through the setup, select "LCD" for the monitor type,
> > and don't let it probe.
>
> it won't even start the config.  Also, I don't see any option for LCD when
> I try it from another computer, and there doesn't seem to be a way to run
> the config without probing.

What you'll probably have to do is get the proper sync settings from the
laptop manufacturer, then manually edit the config file and save it.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe