How to disable ldap auth on login?

I installed RH 9.0 on a test host and was starting to check
it out when I did something witless - enabling LDAP and SASL
and somehow changing login authentication to use these.  Now
I can't login under RH9, since I haven't established an LDAP
server.  I'd planned on reading-up on LDAP and SASL, but in
the short term there are other issues I need to deal with
first.

Can someone take pity on a poor idiot and tell me what files
on the RH9 partition I can modify to revert to simple shadow
password file authentication for logins?

I can boot RH8 under another partition and mount the RH9
partition for access.

TIA,
Doug Wyatt