Re: Starting an install from linux

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 16:57:44 at 04:57:44PM +1000, Andrew Smith (rhml2@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi,
> anyone think of an easy way to start an install
> from a running linux system?
>
> I've got RH8.0 on a system and want to replace it
> with RH9 (install - not upgrade)
>
> Of course I could just make a boot floppy if the
> floppy drive wasn't so unreliable :-(
> Last time I did it using the floppy but it took a
> few floppy-disks and a few tries before it worked.
> The computer will not boot from CD.
>
> Since there is support for doing this from DOS I
> thought it should be possible from linux also :-)

Create a directory /newboot
copy the images from the cdrom to /newboot
modify LILO/GRUB configuration to boot with those images in /newboot
put cdrom#1 inside
reboot: the bootloader will start the images in /newboot, they will
immediately go fetch stuff from the cdrom, and here you go

Details left as exercise for the reader

	Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient
means for going backwards.                    Aldous Huxley