Re: firewall question

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Joe wrote:

> Melissa Golter wrote:
>

> >>What does "top" or "w" on the rh 9 box say?
> >>

> >top: not show much of anything dun think, but sent as attachment
> >
> >w:
> >USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
> >root     tty1     -                Sat10pm  4days  3.70s  0.02s  /bin/sh
> >/usr/X1root     pts/0    :0.0             Tue 9pm 59.00s  3.81s  3.62s
> >/usr/bin/ssh mgroot     pts/1    :0.0             11:44am  0.00s  0.12s
> >
> hmm, nothing outrageous there -
>

> >>Can the other unix server resolve the ip address
> >>of the rh9 server forwards and backwards? Can
> >>the rh9 server resolve tge ip address of the other
> >>unix server forwards and backwards?
> >>

> >yes
> >it knows the dsl connection and router address, if that is what you mean
> >(from pinging my home ip address during an ssh session with the unix
> >server)
> >
> If you type "nslookup <ip address of other unix server>"
> on the redhat box, does it instantly come back with the
> hostname of the other unix box?

yes, immediately

> And if you nsloolup the ip address of the redhat box
> from the other unix box, does it immediately come
> back with the hostname of the redhat box?

yes, immediately (same)

> >nsswitch.conf sent as attachment...
> >
> Yep that's the stock RH one - I suggest this one,
> even though it's not your problem:
>
> passwd:     files
> shadow:     files
> group:      files
> hosts:      files dns [NOTFOUND=return]
> bootparams: files
> ethers:     files
> netmasks:   files
> networks:   files
> protocols:  files
> rpc:        files
> services:   files
> netgroup:   files
> publickey:  files
> automount:  files
> aliases:    files
>
> Just for fun, you might want to put this line at
> the end of /etc/profile, even though it's not the
> problem in your case:
>
> export LANG=en_US
>
> I don't see anything obvious here - if you've got
> good fast name resolution, then I'd have to say
> I'm temporarily stumped!

yes, connection is fast and at times just fine.  It is those
sticky interrupts that drive me nuts...but thanks...appreciate your
help...I always learn something...

gonna pursue why lokkit and setup show up as *high* and won't change -- or
rather how to get firewall adjusted, whatever that takes!!!
there are some notes on iptables that I still have to look up...maybe one
of those will help ;}