Re: gnome-pilot/Evolution vs JPilot

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 15:49, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Anyone with a comparison between gnome-pilot and JPilot, please?

	I cannot provide a comparison, but I am (at this very moment, in fact
:-) ) using Evolution and gnome-pilot.  I will take a stab at answering
your Q's...

> 1. What are the major PDA apps that get sync'ed with Evo?
> I suppose it's: Date Book (becomes Calendar in Evo), Address Book
> (becomes Contacts) and ToDo List (becomes Tasks). Then how about Memo
> Pad?

	I only seem to see conduits for:
	-Address, Calendar, ToDo.  Yet, when I check under ~/MyPilot/ I see my
YAPS database (secure password app on my PalmV), MemoDB, MailDB,
NetworkDB, ExpenseDB, CitiesDB, LauncherDB, and some others.  I do not
know if/how these get sync'd, though.  You might find that your Memo Pad
*does* get sync'd, but I cannot say for sure.

> 2. If those apps get sync'ed with Evo, how good is the compatibility
> between the way PalmOS does those things, and the way Evo does them? Can
> i import Categories from ToDo List into Tasks? An address item in the
> Address Book - does it get 100% translated into Contacts with no
> information loss?

	Here's my take:
	-recurring events are fine in Evolution, but get screwed up when the
land on the Palm.
	-Addressbook items have to choose (one only! :-( ) business address,
home address, or other.  Multiple e-mail addresses move fine from
Evolution to the Palm.  multiple phone numbers move OK, except where you
have two of the same-field-name (ie if you have a friend with 2
cel-phone numbers, only one will make it onto your Palm).

>  Can i continue to edit my Memo Pad on Linux?

	I do not see a way.  There may be; I could certainly make use of this
feature

> 3. Is it easy to install PalmOS apps?

	It appears that there is this feature in one of the Gnome conduits, but
I used a standalone piece of software.  It's been a while though - the
apps on my PalmV have been stable for a couple of years now.

> 4. Can i easily restore my PDA from the last backup after i suffer a
> total data loss? (like, dead battery)

	I hope so, but have never tried.

> 5. Time sync'ing the PDA?

	Just checked - nope.

> I would love to be able to continue to use JPilot, and yet synchronise
> it somehow with Evolution.

	Within Evolution, you can set the conduits to either sync,
write-to-pilot, or pull-from-pilot (ie you can set who is the master).
I find this useful - at work, I push from Evolution to my pilot, and at
home I pull from my Pilot to Evolution at home.
	If I edited extensively on my Palm, it's a couple of mouse-clicks to
alter this hierarchy, and either sync or push data in the other
direction.

	An editorial comment regarding gnome-pilot:

	I had extensive difficulties under RH7.3 and RH8 with gnome-pilot.  For
perhaps 6 months or more after an update, I couldn't get my PalmV to
talk to my Linux boxes at all :-(

	RH9 is much better, but when I log in, gpilotd (the daemon which
listens for a hotsync) always needs to be started manually.  At least I
can sync my stuff now, though, which is a major improvement.

	Still, if *I* were applying a revision-level to gnome-pilot/Evolution,
it would be about 0.50.

	HTH,
	-Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers