Re: RH9, XFree86 and Ati Radeon Problems.

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Michael Nichols wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've search through the list threads and have found
> similar problems as the one I'm facing but not this
> exact problem.. So here it goes..
>
> Two different systems, one Dell C610 laptop  and one
> Dell GX260 Desktop. The laptop has an integrated Ati
> Radeon Mobility M6 and the Desktop has Ati Radeon 7000
> VE (dual-head card).
>
> Running RH 8.0, both these systems work great. Did
> fresh installs of RH 9 (needed for a project @ work)
> now the systems freeze while displaying 3D graphics,
> mainly screensavers. This occurs both in KDE and
> Gnome, when it happens the system freezes - have no
> choice but to remote-in and kill the process or power
> cycle the system.
>
> Both systems are currently running RH 9 with All
> Errata updates applied, also per previous postings in
> the redhat-xfree86 list I've upgraded X to 4.3.0-15
> from Rawhide - this made no difference.
>
> Any suggestions are welcomed.

(1) Disable 3D screensavers?  I know it's not a fix, but it's a
workaround.  I figure there's not much point in running screensavers on a
laptop anyway, so I turned them all off and set the screen to blank after
a short time.

(2) Report problems to Bugzilla, or xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx, or to XFree86
directly.