Re: Ping hangs

Since this box is running bind, I am cacheing the name locally.  I don't
want to hard-code the number since this site does switch to its backup
ISP once in a while...

I should also say that this is testing my backup line, not the primary.
 That's why I need to ping.  If it goes down, I don't want to find out
only when the primary goes down.  :-(

Thanx, though!

-Michael

Michael Weber wrote:

>I have a simple script running on my firewall that simply sends a
>single ping packet to a web site I trust every minute.  If the ping
>fails, I assume my DSL line went down... again.

[snip]

>LOG_FILE=/var/log/ping_log
>TARGET_IP="www.kcpt.org"
>
># echo log to $LOG_FILE
>
>if ping -c 1 $TARGET_IP >> /dev/null  { If you put >> $LOG_FILE here
>you can see the no route stuff }

If your DSL connection is down then the hostname won't resolve either
... you need a network connection to look up www.kcpt.org.    Your best

bet is to replace the hostname with 208.14.187.10

jch