Unable to install rpms with gui

Hello,

I am shortly about to give an intro seesion on the linux desktop to some
work colleagues. We are mainly a windows site, so to show installing rpm
packages I was going to use nautilus or konqueror. Personally I run
up2date, or install them from the command line.

However, slecting an rpm and double-clicking on it doesn't seem to do
much. I get prompted for the root password; it then says its preparing
for system update, and that's it. The rpm is not installed.

Anyone any ideas about this? I've had a quick look through the shrike
archives (sigh; not searchable) and redhat bugzilla but found nothing.
I'll go on to KDe to see is anything is there.

Needless to say, this is going to be *real* embarassing if we can't even
install rpm's from a gui. It would seem to be a pretty fundamental task,
so I would expect it to work at least to some extent! :-)

Thanks,

John.
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839