Re: GCC optimization

Christos E. Chrisostomidis wrote:

Dear all,
Most of the RPM packages shipped with RH9 (and older), come for a i386 target.
I am having a pentium 4 box and I am currently using rpmbiuld --rebuild --target i686 to rebuild
the SRPMs in order to optimize performance.
I am trying to optimize packages such as sendmail, samba, squid etc.
I am wondering if I need to specify any gcc/g++ compiler optimization flags, perhaps in the form of an rpmrc file.
If this is the case, does anybody knows a good reference to look at so I can find the appropriate optflags
to use ?

I think that you'll find that the RPMs are optimised for the i686 but will run on an i386. Applications like sendmail and samba, being somewhat I/O bound, are unlikely to benefit from the marginal performance that you'll get with marginal extra performance that you get by sacrificing i386 compatability. Things like the gimp and MP3 encoders/decoders, that is, CPU bound applications, get rather more benefit from sacrificing i386 compatability and these are largely taken care of anyway.

jch